Camp Lejeune water contamination settlement amounts could be well over $1 million to as low as $25,000. Camp Lejeune lawsuit settlement payouts for contaminated water exposure is estimated to be over $6.7 billion. Victims who pursue a Camp Lejeune toxic water claim will receive lucrative settlements which could be well over $1 million in some cases. Camp lejeune lawsuit payout per person will depend on the severity of the disease and cancer of the victim. The Camp Lejeune settlement amounts will depend on the nature of the illness, medical condition or harm caused to the victim. In all likelihood, victims who endure tragic conditions such as cancer, adult leukemia, kidney cancer, liver cancer or Parkinson’s disease will be offered more settlement funds for compensation than victims who were diagnosed with less serious medical problems resulting from the water.
Speak directly with a Camp Lejeune lawsuit lawyer Right Away using our 24 hour hotline at 855-554-9179
*This post was updated by an attorney on September 29th, 2023 so that readers can have the most recent Camp Lejeune settlement amount information.
- September 7th, 2023: The U.S. Navy and the Justice Department rolled out a new settlement program of expedited tiered payouts for certain victims of the contaminated water at the Marine base. Read the press release. This new program will offer payments between $100,000 and $550,000 based on specific illnesses as well as the length of time that a victim was exposed to the toxic water. Acceptance of the funds would be in lieu of going forward with an administrative claim or a Camp Lejeune water lawsuit.This settlement proposal was propounded unilaterally by the United States. It was not an agreement between leadership lawyers for the victims and the U.S. Justice Department and Navy. The settlement proposal is insufficient and we do not advise victims to accept this settlement. Sadly, it appears that the government is trying to exploit certain victims desperation to get funds to support their families.
The average Camp Lejeune settlement amount will vary depending on the type of injury, cancer, illness or medical condition. The time a victim spent at the Marine Base may play a role in the amount of compensation.
Camp Lejeune marines, their families and workers were regularly exposed to toxic chemicals in the contaminated drinking and bathing water. Our lawyers believe the average settlement amount for presumptive cancer diagnosis will exceed $700,000.00. The presumptive conditions caused by Camp Lejeune water are: Adult leukemia, Aplastic anemia, myelodysplastic syndromes, Bladder cancer, Kidney cancer, Liver cancer, Multiple myeloma, Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and Parkinson’s disease. Jury verdicts for Parkinson’s birth defects, wrongful death and some cancers may be over $1,000,000. Our lawyers see a chance for victims who are willing to roll the dice in front of a jury in federal court to obtain multi-million dollar verdicts to compensate for Camp Lejeune water contamination diseases.
Victims can expect a Range of Camp Lejeune Settlement Amounts
Victim’s of Cancer, wrongful death, birth defects and Parkinson’s disease will likely get higher settlement amounts. Certain injuries may not have as lucrative water contamination settlement compensation payouts. At the end of the day, victims want to know the amount of settlement compensation payout they will receive. It is premature for our lawyers to accurately predict settlement amounts. But our lawyers are able to estimate payouts for Camp Lejeune.
How much is camp lejeune lawsuit payout per person?
Below you will find our Camp Lejeune settlement amount per person projections:
Bladder Cancer – $700,000
Brain Cancer – $900,000
Breast Cancer – $700,000
Cervical Cancer – $500,000
Colon Cancer – $500,000
Kidney Cancer – $525,000
Anemia $ 300,000
Parkinson’s Disease – $900,000
Lung Cancer – $600.000
Lymphoma – $550,000
Esophageal Cancer – $650,000
Ovarian Cancer – $575,000
Leukemia – $500,000
MDS – $500,000
Wrongful Death- $1,300,000
Birth Defects (Severe) -$1,500,000
The above amounts are our estimated for average per victim Camp Lejeune water contamination settlement amounts. Our lawyers believe these payout expectations are reasonable. If a victim goes to trial on a catastrophic injury case and wins in front of a jury then jury Camp Lejeune payouts could be between 1 million to 10 million dollars or more. Our attorneys believe the most lucrative settlements will be won by high powered law firms with financial resources and experience to take the Camp Lejeune claims to a jury trial. Camp lejeune lawsuit payout per person will not be known for at least a couple of years.
Camp Lejeune Lawsuit settlements must account for damages incurred by individual victims such as:
- medical bills,
- lost wages and lost income,
- loss of future earning capacity
- pain and suffering,
- scarring and disfigurement
Depending on the severity of the medical condition, cancer or illness and the amount of evidence that can be found, camp lejeune lawsuit payout per person for exposure to hazardous water is likely to be very high.
Camp Lejeune lawsuit update- August 22nd, 2023
The leadership lawyers who were newly appointed by the Judges have stated that a new website will be online very soon. This website will provide Camp Lejeune lawsuit updates concerning the status of the litigation.
In 2009, hundreds of toxic water victims commenced filing Camp Lejeune lawsuits against the United States pursuant to the Federal Tort Claims Act. These victims asserted they were diagnosed with cancer and other illnesses as a result of exposure to the hazardous toxins contaminating the water at Camp Lejeune. In 2012, All Camp Lejeune lawsuits (850) were put together for coordinated proceedings into a multidistrict litigation in the Eastern District of North Carolina. (This consolidated proceeding did not constitute a Camp Lejeune class action. There is a lot of content online describing this cause of action as a Camp Lejeune class action but it was actually a Camp Lejeune Multidistrict litigation.)
Sadly, all the individual lawsuits that were consolidated were dismissed as a result of the North Carolina statute of repose, which is 10 years.
How will the government determine Camp Lejuene water lawsuit settlements?
The Justice department and / or Navy JAG lawyers are likely to set up a settlement grid premised on objective factors. Camp Lejeune water lawsuits are political matters. The United States government is involved as the Defendant. A rational and fair settlement grid would need to be set up. These types of settlement grids are widely utilized in global mass tort settlements. In all likelihood, the grid will delineate certain medical conditions, diseases and cancers into categories such as: Presumptive conditions, Non presumptive cancers etc. The government is likely to set up a team of settlement administrators who will apply the settlement grid to the facts of a particular claim and generate a settlement offer. The Government is likely to set a settlement amount or a settlement range for each category depending on the severity of the medical condition. The Government may establish dozens of enhancements and discounts to the Camp Lejeune settlement amounts for each category. Enhancements of proposed settlement amounts could include such factors as:
- death resulting
- hospitalization under 10 days
- hospitalization over 10 days
- hospitalization over 30 days
- 1 related surgery
- 2 related surgeries
- 3 plus related surgeries
- medical bills under $10,000
- medical bills over $10,000
- unable to work (disabled) under 1 year
- unable to work (disabled) over 1 year
The Camp Lejeune settlement grid is also likely to contain discount factors such as:
- Causation questionable (for non presumptive conditions)
- No lost wages
- Medical records incomplete
- Proof of residency unclear
- Unrelated medical issues
- Lack of medical treatment
The government needs a rational and consistent settlement grid to avoid racial bias, gender bias and political influence tainting the settlement process. Our Camp lejeune lawyers believe that once a settlement offer is made, there will be no negotiations and increased settlements until the eve of trial in the case. This shows how important it is that victims retain the best Camp Lejeune attorney to present their claim in the most favorable light to the government.
Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawsuit Settlement Amounts
Our experience leads us to believe that Camp Lejeune contaminated water settlements will be determined utilizing a grid. The Camp Lejeune lawsuit process is still very new and the Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022 is unlike any legal process in United States history.
When will the Camp Lejeune lawsuit be settled?
Our attorneys believe that there will not be global settlement offer until the government can set up rules for how to fairly distribute settlement funds. It could take months or even years for a global settlement of the Camp lejeune claims. There is no precedent in the history of the United States for how these claims will be handled by the United States.
Camp Lejeune Cancers that will have the highest settlement compensation:
- Kidney cancer
- Liver cancer
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Adult leukemia (i.e. leukemia developed after qualifying exposure at Camp Lejeune)
- Multiple myeloma
- Parkinson’s disease
- Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
- Bladder cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Ovarian Cancer
- Colon Cancer
- Cervical Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Brain Cancer
- Aplastic Anemia
Payout for Camp Lejeune 2023
Camp Lejeune civilian workers, marines and their families were often exposed to toxic chemicals in the polluted drinking and bathing water. At Slepkow law, we estimate that the average for the camp lejeune lawsuit payout per person for the above cancers and illnesses will be above $600,000.00. If a claim does not settle there could be Jury verdicts for cancer claims jury verdicts well over $1,000,000.00. There is also a possibility of jury verdicts between 2 million and 10 million dollars or more.
Update – 08/22/2023 – Camp Lejeune Water Lawsuit Payout Amounts
The biggest Camp Lejeune verdicts will be won by high powered law firms with deep pockets and the financial resources and experience to litigate Camp Lejeune cases to a jury trial. The Justice department will likely formulate a grid which takes into account the type of illness as well as the age of a victim. Many Camp Lejeune Claims will not fit into the four corners of the government’s grid. There may be particular types of claims such as birth defects, in which the damages make it feasible to be heard before a jury at the Federal Court in the Eastern District of North Carolina. The government may stumble at trial disproving a type of cancer is not linked to the water Pollutions at the marine base.
The estimation by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is that the United States will have to shell out $6.7 Billion dollars to victims. A cancer diagnosis may result in major financial losses to the victim. The financial losses can include lost wages, massive medical bills, diminution of earning capacity, transportation costs, medical device costs and drug costs. An illness or medical condition can make it so you are unable to work or have to reduce your work hours or income.
What is the average settlement for Camp Lejeune water contamination?
Many people are asking a common question, “How much is the average Camp Lejeune water contamination settlement amounts?” It is expected that the most lucrative Camp Lejeune settlement amounts will be awarded to victims of cancer victims and their families. Parkinson’s disease claims will also provide major payouts to victims and their family members. The average Camp Lejeune settlement amounts for Parkinson’s disease lawsuits will likely exceed $700,000. Everyone will not obtain a similar settlement payout. Victims who suffered the most and who can document their claims are likely to get the highest Camp Lejeune payouts. Some victims with the most severe illnesses may receive well over one million dollars. The vast majority of Camp Lejeune water contamination lawsuits seem to involve cancer. The average settlement amounts attorneys at SS&A see in other class action lawsuits (aka MDL’s) where victims suffer cancer generally range from $200,000 to $800,000. Our attorneys believe the average settlement amount for Camp Lejeune lawsuits will far eclipse the garden variety mass tort cancer lawsuit settlement for the following reasons:
- This is political and the United States Government has asked the Justice Department and the NAVY to pay these claims.
- There is no motivation for the government to deny the claims or fight the claims aggressively.
Camp Lejeune cancers with strongest link to contaminated water
Certain Cancers have the strongest medical and scientific links to the Lejeune water. These cancers have the most compelling evidence linking the cancer to the toxic water. These cancers have been linked to the polluted water by epidemiological studies.
- cervical cancer
- breast cancer
- bladder cancer
- colon cancer
- Lung cancer
- kidney cancer
- Aplastic Anemia
- Esophageal cancer
- prostate cancer
- Multiple myeloma
- Non- Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- ovarian cancer
- Liver cancer
- Brain cancer
“For some types of cancer, the death rate was much greater at Lejeune when compared to Pendleton, according to the report. Examples include: kidney cancer (35 percent higher), liver cancer (42 percent), esophageal cancer (43 percent), cervical cancer (33 percent), Hodgkins lymphoma (47 percent) and multiple myeloma (68 percent).Up to 1 million people, including nearly 20,000 Floridians, lived and worked at Lejeune during the more than three decades its drinking water was contaminated ending in 1987.” TampaBay.com
“This mortality study is certainly significant, and shows increased overall cancer deaths in Camp Lejeune veterans . . . and trends toward increased kidney cancer and leukemia deaths with increasing exposure to contaminated water,” said Richard Clapp, an epidemiologist who serves on the ATSDR advisory panel.” Id.
Kidney Cancer caused by Camp Lejeune water
Based on scientific studies and evidence, Kidney Cancer has the strongest causal connection to the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune. Kidney cancer has been presumptively linked to the Camp Lejeune water by the VA.
Settlement Amounts for Camp Lejeune Kidney Cancer Cases
How much are Kidney Cancer Camp Lejeune claims worth? We estimate that Camp Lejeune claims which involve kidney cancer will settle for over $500,000. Kidney cancer can be treated and has a higher survival rate than other types of cancer and as a result may command a lower settlement amount than other cancers. If both Kidneys have cancer that the Camp Lejeune payout will be even higher.
Bladder Cancer caused by Camp Lejeune toxic water
Similar to Kidney Cancer, bladder cancer is very strongly linked to Camp Lejeune water contamination. ATSDR studies proved that Bladder cancer is caused by the water at the Marine base. Studies have established that death rates from Kidney cancer at Camp Lejeune are very high. There is definitely an increased risk of bladder cancer for those exposed to the hazardous water at Camp Lejeune. The survival rate of bladder cancer is over 75 percent, so these claims may command a lower settlement amount than some other forms of deadly cancer. We estimate that settlement amounts for bladder cancer claims are likely to command a settlement exceeding $500,000. Judgments after a trial could be over 1 million dollars for bladder cancer lawsuits.
Prostate Cancer linked to Camp Lejeune Water toxicity
The ATSDR study determined that victims of the toxic water had a higher likelihood of being diagnosed with prostate cancer. Many victims of Camp Lejeune water died as a result of prostate cancer. There is an undeniable connection between exposure to the toxic water at the Marine base and prostate cancer. Higher exposure levels to the toxic water is more likely to led to death of the victim. “The 5-year survival rate for people with prostate cancer in the United States is 98%. The 10-year survival rate is also 98%. Approximately 84% of prostate cancers are found when the disease is in only the prostate and nearby organs.” Cancer.net
Leukemia Linked to Camp Lejeune Water
An ATSDR study determined that there was an increased risk of leukemia for people who drank Camp Lejeune contaminated water. There was also a difficult to refute causation between the amount of exposure to toxic chemicals and the number of leukemia deaths.
- “Approximately every 3 minutes, one person in the US is diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma.
- An estimated combined total of 186,400 people in the US are expected to be diagnosed with leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma in 2021.
- New cases of leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma are expected to account for 9.8 percent of the estimated 1,898,160 new cancer cases that will be diagnosed in the US in 2021.” LLS
Settlement Amounts for Camp Lejeune Leukemia Claims
A Lucrative Camp Lejeune water lawsuit will be a lawsuit when a victim can prove that Leukemia was caused by the toxic water. The average Camp Lejeune settlement amount for Leukemia claims will likely be over $5000,000. Camp Lejeune payouts will be higher if the victim passed away as a result of the Leukemia.
Breast Cancer Linked to Camp Lejeune Water Contamination
There have been a number of studies which have found that victims who were exposed to hazardous water had higher rates of breast cancer. Industrial solvents such as PCE and TCE which are infamously associated with Camp Lejeune water, is known to cause breast cancer.
Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer in the U.S., but it has a relatively high survivability rate. We anticipate that Camp Lejeune breast cancer lawsuits could see per-person settlement amounts between $400,000 and $600,000.
Settlement Amounts for Camp Lejeune Breast Cancer Cases
Our attorneys, estimate that Camp Lejeune breast cancer lawsuits could see payouts over $600,000. Settlement amount valuation for each breast cancer claim will depend on the breast cancer stage as well as the outcome and other circumstances.
“Breast cancer is currently the most common cancer globally, accounting for 12.5% of all new annual cancer cases worldwide. Here are the American Cancer Society estimates for breast cancer in the United States for 2022: About 13% (about 1 in 8) of U.S. women are going to develop invasive breast cancer in the course of their life. In 2022, an estimated 287,850 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 51,400 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer. About 2,710 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in men in 2022. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 833.”
Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Linked to toxic Camp Lejeune Water
Numerous studies have found that Lejeune victims had significantly greater incident rates of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL). Scientific studies determined that there was is a definitive link between the water at the marine base and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. NHL is one of the conditions/ diseases that is presumptively linked to Camp Lejeune contaminated water.
Presumptive conditions / diseases linked to Camp Lejeune contaminated water:
- Adult leukemia.
- Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes.
- Bladder cancer.
- Kidney cancer.
- Liver cancer.
- Multiple myeloma.
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Parkinson’s disease.
Settlement Amounts for Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Camp Lejeune Claims
Our lawyers believe that Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma settlement may have an average settlement amounts from $500,000 to $600,000. A death caused by NHL could lead to over 1 million dollar settlement.
Camp Lejeune Water Contamination linked to lung Cancer
Studies conducted by experts have determined that victims exposed to the highly toxic water (Camp lejeune toxic water) had a much greater risk of a lung cancer diagnosis. These victims had a higher likelihood of death from lung cancer compared to a control group. “Lung cancer (both small cell and non-small cell) is the second most common cancer (not counting skin cancer). In men, prostate cancer is more common, while in women breast cancer is more common. The American Cancer Society’s estimates for lung cancer in the United States for 2022 are:
- About 236,740 new cases of lung cancer (117,910 in men and 118,830 in women)
- About 130,180 deaths from lung cancer (68,820 in men and 61,360 in women)
Lung cancer mainly occurs in older people. Most people diagnosed with lung cancer are 65 or older; a very small number of people diagnosed are younger than 45. The average age of people when diagnosed is about 70.” Cancer.org
Settlement Value for Camp Lejeune Lung Cancer Cases
Our attorneys believe that Camp Lejeune lung cancer lawsuit may have an average settlement value between $500,000 to $650,000. A wrongful death Lung cancer case, could have an average settlement amount of $700,000 to $1.2 million.
The water supply system at the Marine base was actually contaminated with carcinogenic chemicals at levels that were well beyond what is considered safe levels. It is believed that these toxic chemicals caused other types of cancers. Below you will find a list of cancers that do not have as clear of a link to the contaminated water at Camp Lejeune. However, there is a probability that the water may have caused these cancers:
- Bone Cancer- “Bone cancer is an uncommon type of cancer that begins when cells in the bone start to grow out of control”
- Uterine Cancer- “Uterine cancer includes two types of cancer: endometrial cancer (more common) and uterine sarcoma. Uterine cancer symptoms include bleeding between periods or after menopause. Uterine cancer treatment often consists of a hysterectomy to remove the uterus.”
- Testicular Cancer- “Testicular cancer is a growth of cells that starts in the testicles… Testicular cancer isn’t a common type of cancer. It can happen at any age, but it happens most often between the ages of 15 and 45.”
- Pancreatic Cancer- “Pancreatic cancer begins in the tissues of your pancreas — an organ in your abdomen that lies behind the lower part of your stomach. Your pancreas releases enzymes that aid digestion and produces hormones that help manage your blood sugar. Several types of growths can occur in the pancreas, including cancerous and noncancerous tumors. The most common type of cancer that forms in the pancreas begins in the cells that line the ducts that carry digestive enzymes out of the pancreas (pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma).”
- Stomach Cancer- “Stomach cancer, also called gastric cancer, begins when cells in the stomach start to grow out of control.”
- Head and Neck Cancer- “Cancers that are known collectively as head and neck cancers usually begin in the squamous cells that line the mucosal surfaces of the head and neck (for example, those inside the mouth, throat, and voice box). These cancers are referred to as squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. Head and neck cancers can also begin in the salivary glands, sinuses, or muscles or nerves in the head and neck, but these types of cancer are much less common than squamous cell carcinomas”
- Thyroid Cancer- “Thyroid cancer is a growth of cells that starts in the thyroid. The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located at the base of the neck, just below the Adam’s apple. The thyroid produces hormones that regulate heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature and weight. Thyroid cancer might not cause any symptoms at first. But as it grows, it can cause signs and symptoms, such as swelling in your neck, voice changes and difficulty swallowing.”
- Skin Cancer (Melanoma)-“Melanoma is a type of skin cancer that develops when melanocytes (the cells that give the skin its tan or brown color) start to grow out of control. Cancer starts when cells in the body begin to grow out of control. Cells in nearly any part of the body can become cancer, and can then spread to other areas of the body. To learn more about cancer and how it starts and spreads, see What Is Cancer? Melanoma is much less common than some other types of skin cancers. But melanoma is more dangerous because it’s much more likely to spread to other parts of the body if not caught and treated early.”
- Gallbladder Cancer- “Gallbladder cancer is an abnormal growth of cells that begins in the gallbladder. Your gallbladder is a small, pear-shaped organ on the right side of your abdomen, just beneath your liver. The gallbladder stores bile, a digestive fluid produced by your liver.” Gallbladder cancer is uncommon. When gallbladder cancer is discovered at its earliest stages, the chance for a cure is very good. But most gallbladder cancers are discovered at a late stage, when the prognosis is often very poor. Camp Lejeune payouts for Gallbladder cancer may exceed $400,000
Camp Lejeune toxic water
“A new analysis shows that former Marines and their families who lived in Tarawa Terrace family housing units during the period November 1957 through February 1987 received contaminated drinking water containing the dry-cleaning solvent, tetrachloroethylene (PCE). Levels of PCE in the drinking water during this period exceeded the amount currently allowed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) under the Safe Drinking Water Act. Exposure to PCE-contaminated drinking water occurred because PCE leaked into groundwater that supplied the Tarawa Terrace drinking water system from a dry-cleaner located outside the Camp Lejeune military base. In 1987, the military base shut down the Tarawa Terrace water treatment plant because of PCE contamination of the drinking water.” ATSDR
Cancers caused by Camp Lejeune water are often Latent
Cancer caused by Camp Lejeune toxic water would often not manifest itself until many years later. If you are looking for the highest Camp Lejeune water contamination settlement amounts, contact us. We will be constantly fighting to get our clients the highest Camp Lejeune lawsuit payout per person as possible.