Successfully resolving a Rhode Island car accident case for compensation can be complex. This is because every tort lawsuit, whether it is based on strict liability, negligence or intention, involves two crucial legal issues – damages and liability. To resolve a RI car accident lawsuit, the victim must establish that the defendant is liable for the victim’s damages and, if true, to what extent. If the victim can prove causation, duty, damages and liability, a jury or a claims adjuster will award the victim the compensation they deserve. A Providence car accident lawyer can help you get the justice and compensation you deserve. In most cases, victims will hire a Rhode Island car accident attorney who specializes in tort law and automobile accidents.
Rhode Island car accident lawyer
The lengthy process of resolving a trucking wreck case begins in a consultation with a RI personal injury attorney to discuss all potential legal options. If the case has merit, the Providence car accident lawyer will begin the discovery process. The discovery process is the process where evidence is gathered, witnesses are interviewed, and the incident is fully reviewed. This might involve a complete evaluation of medical records and police reports to build a solid case for compensation. Most cases are resolved by a RI auto crash attorney negotiating with an adjuster working for the insurance company policyholder. If the amount of compensation is not acceptable to the victim, the RI personal injury attorney will file a lawsuit in Providence Superior Court to present the case at a jury trial.
How much money do I need for my personal injury case?
Reputable RI personal injury lawyers accept these types of cases on contingency. This means the the injured victim pays nothing for legal services until the Rhode Island car accident lawyer successfully settles the claim through a negotiated out-of-court settlement or wins a jury award at trial.
What constitutes legal personal injury in a filed claim for compensation?
Car accident attorneys in Rhode Island can handle a large variety of cases from vehicle car collisions to medical malpractice and more. A small sampling of common Rhode Island personal injury cases involve:
- Rhode Island wrongful death
- Vehicle accidents including truck accident, boats, motorcycles and passenger cars
- Defective product liability
- Bad drugs / defective and dangerous drugs
- Public transportation accidents
- Fatal car accident
- Hernia mesh lawsuit
How much is my case for compensation in Kent County Superior Court worth?
Determining the value of a case for automobile accident injury compensation can be difficult. However, your Warwick, Cranston or Woonsocket car accident attorney will review the merits of your claim, evaluate the severity of the injuries you endure, and review the insurance limits of all policies involved. The Providence car accident lawyer will identify every defendant responsible for your damages. In most cases, the value of the injury claim is based on five specific factors that include:
- Past and current medical expenses including the cost of hospitalization, rehabilitation and physical therapy.
- All future medical expenses to allow you to heal completely including the cost of managing temporary or permanent disabilities.
- Lost wages from time missed from work.
- Loss of earning capacity due to physical or mental constraints directly associated with your injuries.
- Intangible damages including pain, suffering, emotional trauma and mental anxiety.
Your Providence car accident lawyer will use numerous factors to determine the actual value of the case. The following factors my be significant:
- diminished capacity to enjoy your previous life,
- the cost of ongoing medical treatments and
- your litigation history.
Car accident lawyer RI
Driving on the roadways is getting more dangerous as the years go by. There are currently more than 208 million people with a driver’s license in this country. While driving provides you with ample freedom, it can also bring on some serious issues. Data show that there are more than three-million car accidents each year. Did you know that 16 percent of those misfortunes are caused by people not paying attention behind the wheel? People are on their cell phones, texting, putting on makeup, or engaging in some other distraction. If you were injured in a car accident in Rhode Island, contact a RI personal injury lawyer. A personal injury attorney RI will help you get the compensation and justice you are entitled to.
Vehicle crash types used by police
While most people depend on their vehicles to get them to and from work and other places, there is a chance that you could have an accident. You can be seriously injured, and many incidents go to court seeking damages for personal injuries. When you are involved in an automobile accident, your report will classify the type of incident that occurred. The classification means everything, especially since it can help to determine fault. Here are the vehicle crash types used by both police and insurance agencies:
A head-on-collision is where two cars crash head-on. In this instance, either party can be at fault. However, a head-on-incident can also include just one car and an object. If a vehicle runs off the road and hits a tree or other thing from the front, it can be classified as this type of crash. The unfortunate part about dealing with these types of incidents is they are more likely to cause a fatality than any other kind of wreck. About two percent of all accidents are considered a head-on-collision. However, of those accidents, more than 10 percent will have fatalities.
When an accident happens at the rear of the vehicle, it is classified as a rear-end collision. In most cases, the fault almost always goes to the person who hits from behind. The theory behind this is that they are following the other car too closely. They are usually cited with “unassured clear distance” for not allowing sufficient room between the vehicles. However, there are some cases when the other party may be at fault. Only an attorney can help determine who is truly at fault for this type of crash.
A T-bone crash is where one car hits another from the side. The side impacts are often very messy accidents. These accidents can be categorized as being broadsided or a side-swipe too. One car hits the side with the back or front of their car. It can also be an object that is hit. Most of these accidents occur at a stop sign or a traffic light.
A hit-and-run incident is not really a classification as much as it is an occurrence. When someone hits a vehicle and leaves the scene of the accident, the insurance company and police will determine that it is a hit-and-run. Since there is no other party to hold responsible for the charges, your insurance must pay for the repairs. You will have to pay the insurance deductible to get your vehicle repaired.
The side-swipe accident is usually a mild incident. One car swipes another car or object. The damages are usually not as bad as a side occurrence from a T-bone. In many cases, a side-swipe happens with a mailbox, road sign or other objects close to the roadway. Property damage is usually more severe than vehicle damage when these occur. While many are harmless accidents, if one of the persons loses control of their vehicle, then it can turn into a major accident. Regardless of the type of crash, when a total loss of the vehicle occurs, it can result in a fatality.
Rollover accident in RI
A rollover wreck often causes all sorts of medical problems, specifically with the neck and back. The vehicle can flip on its side or completely in the air. This type of incident is often seen with the larger sport utility vehicles. Drivers go too fast around curves and the top-heavy vehicles turn over. In fact, 29 percent of all rollover accidents include a fatality. While statistics show that some types of accidents have a higher chance of causing physical damages than others, you can be hurt anytime there is a collision. You need a good lawyer on your side to help you get compensation to cover your pain and suffering. Never make a statement about an accident without an attorney present. Anything you say can be used by the insurance company to decrease the amount they must pay. Get a medical evaluation right away and call a car accident lawyer ri.
Things you need to know
Car accidents are one of the primary causes of personal injury claims in the United States today. In Providence, Rhode Island heavy traffic and winter weather can make accidents more likely. If you have been injured in a car accident in Providence, here are some things you need to know about filing a personal injury claim.
Providence Car Accident Lawyer
Statistics show that one of the primary causes of car accidents in the United States, is distracted driving. According to the Center for Disease Control or CDC the most common types of distracted driving are:
- Losing Concentration While Driving
- Removing Hands From The Wheel Resulting In A Loss Of Control
- Taking Eyes Off The Roadway While Driving
Today, so many motorists are using their cell phones while hurrying to work which increases the odds of having an accident. Some other common causes of accidents necessitating a Rhode island car accident lawyer are speeding, impaired driving and reckless driving.
Statute of limitations
If you have been injured in an accident in Providence, you have a certain amount of time to file a personal injury lawsuit. When filing a case for personal injury caused by another driver, the statute of limitations is three years from the date of the accident. In these cases, it is best to seek the advice of a Providence car accident attorney as soon as possible to avoid confusion. Pursuant to RI Injury law: “(b) Actions for injuries to the person shall be commenced and sued within three (3) years next after the cause of action shall accrue, and not after, except as provided for otherwise in subsection (c) herein.” TITLE 9Courts and Civil Procedure–Procedure Generally CHAPTER 9-1 Causes of Action SECTION 9-1-14
People who are injured in car accidents can sue the other driver and their insurance company for a variety of expenses. Here are some things you may be able to recover money using a Rhode Island car accident lawyer for:
- Medical Bills
- Transportation costs
- Loss Of Wages
- Cost Of Therapy Or Ongoing Treatment
You may also be able to obtain a monetary settlement if you have been disabled as a result of the accident. The court will use information such as lost income and the loss of earning capacity for the future to determine how much to award. If you have been involved in an accident and are injured, it may benefit you to seek the advice of an experienced Providence personal injury attorney or a Providence car accident lawyer. These specialists can evaluate your case and help you decide how to go forward. In many cases, a Rhode island personal injury attorney can take the stress out of the legal process so you can focus on recovering and returning to your life.
Serious matters requiring the attention
Car accidents in Rhode Island are serious matters requiring the attention of a top Rhode Island car accident lawyer. In order to prevail and receive compensation for your injuries resulting from an auto accident in RI, the injured victim is required to establish that the tortfeasor was at fault. To be at fault for a RI car accident, the other motorist must be negligent. If a driver is negligent for a motor vehicle crash, their insurance company is liable to pony up cash to resolve the cause of action.
East Providence car accident lawyer
If you were injured in a RI car accident or Providence auto crash it is important that you protect your legal rights. Never admit fault at the scene of the Warwick, Cranston or Pawtucket automobile collision. Taking pictures and videos of the scene of the Woonscoket, North Providence or Newport motor vehicle wreck will help support your negligence claim. Preferably, get pictures of skid marks, signage, road configurations as well as the various motor vehicles involved in the auto crash. If possible, obtain pictures prior to the vehicles being relocated by the authorities or individual involved in the Rhode Island car accident. All the while, make sure that you are emphasizing your safety as well as the safety of others at the scene of the automobile crash.
If you are legitimately injured in a Rhode Island car accident, it is imperative that you obtain treatment for your injuries. Insurance adjusters will not compensate you for periods of time when you are not treating for your injuries pursuant to your doctors recommendations. Do not speak to the insurance defense car accident negligence attorneys or insurance adjusters. Immediately, retain one of the best car accident lawyers in Rhode Island who is also a top RI personal injury lawyer.
How is negligence determined
” This court established that the “prudent person” rule is the standard by which conduct is to be measured in ascertaining whether due care has been exercised; that is, “[o]rdinary care is such care as a person of ordinary prudence exercises under the circumstances of the danger to be apprehended.” Id. (quoting Leonard v. Bartle, 48 R.I. 101, 104, 135 A. 853, 854 (1927)). 502 A.2d 827 (1986)Carol H. HUESTONv.NARRAGANSETT TENNIS CLUB, INC.No. 83-115-Appeal. Supreme Court of Rhode Island.January 10, 1986.828*828 John T. Walsh, Jr., Joseph V. Cavanagh, Higgins, Cavanagh & Cooney, Providence, for plaintiff. Edward L. Gnys, Jr., Richard O. Lessard, Gunning, LaFazia & Gnys, Inc., Providence, for defendant. OPINION SHEA, Justice.
RI car accident attorney sets forth common types of vehicular collisions
There are hundreds of different types of car accidents in Rhode island. These include:
- rollover accident
- rear-end collision
- side impact(T-bone)
- texting while driving crash
- drunk driving collision
- distracted driving
- drowsy, fatigued and tired driving
- lane violation accident
- merge accident
- fatal (deadly) auto wrecks
- intersection accident
- multi vehicle crash
- single car accident
Car accidents cause hundreds of different types of injuries specifically including:
- fractured leg
- fractured and broken arm
- traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- whiplash injury
- internal injuries
Automobile accidents involving texting while driving, distracted driving and negligent operation of a motor vehicle are a problem all over the United States. While most accidents are relatively minor, some lead to serious injury or death. Below are some things to keep in mind if you are involved in a car accident accident in Warwick, Coventry or Cranston. If you were injured in a car, truck or motor vehicle crash in Kent County contact a Warwick personal injury attorney.
Types of Injuries
Depending on the circumstances of the Rhode Island car accident, many victims suffer serious injuries to virtually any area of the body. However, the most common types of injuries caused by a car accident include:
- Head and Brain Trauma – Many Providence car accidents cause serious trauma to the brain and head when the driver or passenger is violently hit or hits an object with impact. The results of brain trauma can be severe, moderate or mild and trauma is often dependent on the extent of damage to the head and brain or any area directly affected in the collision. Some victims of serious head and brain trauma show no visible signs such as a cut, bruise or laceration. However, the brain can easily be jostled or loosened inside the school because of the impact force, causing it to swell, bleed or bruise without any outward sign.
- Neck Injury – Serious neck injuries including whiplash are common types of trauma associated with rear end collisions where the head is thrown forward and thrust back quickly causing serious damage to muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves. In serious cases, the victim will suffer cervical disc injury or dislocation and require extensive surgery to heal completely. Severe damage to the trachea or larynx can be caused by a car accident as can a broken neck that could kill the victim instantly.
- Spinal Cord Injury – Damage to the spinal cord can easily occur in high impact collisions were just material or bone fragments become displaced or spinal cord tissue tears or bruises. In some cases, axons in the spinal column are destroyed or nerve cells carrying signals from the body to the brain become inflamed or damaged.
- Facial Injury – Many victims of car accidents suffer serious injuries to the face especially when they strike the steering wheel, airbag, dashboard, side window, windshield or car seat, or are cut by shattered glass upon impact. The injuries to the face can be severe and require extensive reconstruction work to the bones of the face, the skull, jaw and teeth.
- Back Injury – Strains and sprains to back muscles are the least serious type of back injury caused by a car accident. Many victims suffer fractured vertebrae and herniated discs that limit mobility and cause extensive pain. Typically, these types of injuries are long-lasting and require extensive surgery, chiropractic care or pain medication to make the discomfort manageable.
- Internal Injury Including Organ Damage – The extent of impact during a motor vehicle collision can cause extensive internal injuries to the heart, aorta, lungs, liver, spleen, bowels and kidneys. In many cases, a fractured rib punctures a lung and causes extensive damage to internal organs.
- Psychological Injury – A car accident that causes severe injury or loss of life often leaves passengers and motorists suffering with extensive psychological injury like depression, persistent anxiety, PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) and emotional anguish. In some cases, the effects and mental trauma of the event can last a lifetime, especially if the lives of victims are irrevocably changed by long-lasting, serious or catastrophic injuries.
A variety of factors can contribute to automobile accidents in Warwick and Cranston RI. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle, truck, or motorcycle collision and are injured, you may be able to file a lawsuit to obtain compensation for your injuries. According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, some of the primary cause of accidents today are:
Driver fatigue (sleepy driving) is a common cause of auto accidents in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations inclluding the areas of Cranston, Warwick and Coventry RI. Many people commute long distances daily and are unaware they are fatigued. Others may become tired driving to vacation destinations. Failure to pull over and rest can be a fatal mistake.
Warwick personal injury attorney
Reckless or aggressive drivers are a danger to everyone on the road. People who drive in this manner often tailgate, fail to yield the right of way and ignore traffic signals.
Driving Under The Influence
“Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a common reason accidents occur, especially during the wee hours of the morning. Many people fail to realize the effects these substances have on their reflexes and alertness. In July 2003, Rhode Island enacted a law making it a crime for anyone to operate a motor vehicle with a BAC of 0.08 or above. For young drivers, a BAC level of 0.02 results in license suspension until the age of 21. The Rhode Island Supreme Court has ruled that sobriety checkpoints are unconstitutional. A police officer may or may not indicate suspicion of alcohol involvement in a crash report. BAC testing is often performed only on persons who are killed in a crash and not on surviving drivers.” State of Rhode Island Highway Safety Plan, developed and presented by Rhode Island Department of Transportation Office On Highway Safety Two Capitol Hill Providence, RI 02903 date July 1, 2015
How a Warwick personal injury attorney can help
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, you may be able to obtain compensation for your injuries through the court system in Kent County Superior Court. However, in order to achieve this goal, most courts require proof that the other driver caused the accident through negligence. In these cases, having a Coventry injury lawyer or Warwick car accident attorney can make this process easier. An experienced Warwick personal injury attorney will investigate the accident and gather the evidence needed to prove your case. A Cranston auto crash lawyer will also negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company, so you can pay any outstanding bills you may have from the accident.
Contact a Rhode Island car accident lawyer if you were involved in an automobile accident in Warwick, Coventry, Cranston or anywhere in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. During a consultation, a Warwick \ car accident attorney will examine the facts in your case and help you decide the best way to move forward with your case.
Laws related to driving in Rhode Island to prevent a car accident
- u-turn – “§ 31-16-4 Places where U-turns prohibited. – No vehicle shall be turned so as to proceed in the opposite direction upon any curve or upon the approach to, or near the crest of a grade, where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of any other vehicle approaching from either direction within five hundred feet (500′). Violations of this section are subject to fines enumerated in § 31-41.1-4. ”
- § 31-27-1 Driving so as to endanger, resulting in death. – (a) When the death of any person ensues as a proximate result of an injury received by the operation of any vehicle in reckless disregard of the safety of others, including violations of § 31-27-22, the person so operating the vehicle shall be guilty of “driving so as to endanger, resulting in death”. (b) Any person charged with the commission of this offense shall upon conviction be imprisoned for not more than ten (10) years and have his or her license to operate a motor vehicle suspended for no more than five (5) years
- § 31-27-2 Driving under influence of liquor or drugs. – (a) Whoever drives or otherwise operates any vehicle in the state while under the influence of any intoxicating liquor, drugs, toluene, or any controlled substance as defined in chapter 28 of title 21, or any combination of these, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor except as provided in subdivision (d)(3) and shall be punished as provided in subsection (d) of this section.
“The crash involved a group of six motorcycles with nine total riders on the six motorcycles and a pickup truck. Five of the six motorcycles were involved in the crash with the pickup. The six motorcycles were traveling west on US 14/16/20. The pickup, a 2003 Chevrolet C/K 1500, driven by 61 year old Ontario, Oregon resident Manuel Defuentes, was traveling east on US 14/16/20. The vehicles met in a gradual curve in the highway. The truck driven by Defuentes crossed the centerline of the road while in the gradual curve and entered the westbound lane of travel. After crossing the centerline, the pickup struck five of six westbound motorcycles with seven total riders on the five motorcycles that were struck. The five motorcycles struck were all 2015 Harley-Davidsons. The majority of the riders involved in the crash were wearing helmets. Whether all the riders involved were wearing helmets is still being determined. The four non-fatal riders involved in the crash were all transported to West Park Hospital in Cody. Three of the four non-fatal riders were then airlifted to Billings, Montana. The fourth was treated at West Park Hospital and released. The three that were airlifted to Billings” KTVQ
Car accident lawyers in Rhode Island help those who have been seriously injured or have family members who were killed in automobile accidents. Distracted driving while using electronic devices is one of the most common causes of accidents today. According to the United States Department of Transportation, 3,179 people were killed in auto accidents due to distracted driving in 2014 alone. As accident statistics rise, so will the need for legal representation in these cases. If you have been injured or someone you love has lost their life at the hands of another driver in North Providence, Woonsocket or Pawtucket consider speaking with a Rhode Island automobile accident attorney for advice.
Expenses for a North Providence car accident claim
There are many different types of expenses you may be able to seek compensation for after a crash. The amount of money needed for medical bills depends largely upon how severe your injuries are and whether or not you will need ongoing medical care. Some common expenses included in personal injury claims include:
- Ambulance Transport Fees
- Emergency Room Bills
- Bills From Hospital Stays
- Physical Or Occupational Therapy
- Transportation To Doctor Visits
- Accessories Such As Wheelchairs Or Crutches
You may also be able to obtain compensation for pain and suffering if you are permanently disabled due to an auto accident. This may also include money for anxiety or stress after an injury. If you are not able to work or return to the same line of work after an accident, your Woonsocket or Pawtucket injury lawyer may be able to obtain a settlement to compensate you. Most people who are involved in serious accidents miss time from work, which results in a loss of income. A North Providence or Woonsocket car accident attorney may be able to prove how much you are entitled to in this scenario. In most cases, your Rhode Island car accident lawyer will use past income to calculate the amount of your loss. For more RI car accident and providence auto accident lawyer articles go here.
Sadly, automobile accidents are an all too common occurrence and studies indicate that most Rhode Island crashes occur within five miles of home. The most potential cause of a vehicle accident usually involves negligence, traffic gridlock, driving recklessly, speeding, and unsafe driving practices to name just a few. Some of the most serious RI auto accidents causing catastrophic injuries and death happen on city side roads and parking lots. if you were involved in a car accident in Rhode Island then you should contact a Rhode Island personal injury lawyer. A top Rhode Island personal injury attorney will help you get the compensation that you are entitled to.
The 10 most common types of car accidents involve:
• Rear end automobile Collisions and accidents
When a car strikes the back of a vehicle ahead, it is often the result of distraction, inattention or sudden deceleration without adequate time to brake or slow down. Rear end collisions can cause serious injuries including whiplash that affect both passengers and drivers riding in the impacted vehicle. Usually, the fault of the accident is placed on the driver who rear ends the vehicle ahead. website
• Sideswipe Crash
Sideswiping usually happens when two vehicles traveling parallel will touch, collide or crash into each other. Many times, one or both vehicles are damaged only slightly unless one motorist loses control prior to the accident.
• Side Impact accident or Collision
Broadside, “T-bone” or side-impact collisions usually happen when one vehicle runs a stop sign or red light. These types of providence, Warwick or Cranston collisions are typically caused when the front of one vehicle impacts the side, rear or front of another vehicle or fixed object. The vehicle damage to both vehicles is commonly quite extensive and injuries tend to be catastrophic, especially to passengers and drivers inside the vehicle struck by the approaching car.
• Vehicle Rollovers
Driving or riding in a vehicle that rolls over in Rhode Island can be both frightening and dangerous. This is because rollovers cause the vehicle to flip over on its roof or side. While any type of car or truck can roll over, the highest incident rates of rollover accidents occur in SUVs or other vehicles with a higher center of gravity than most passenger cars.
• Unexpected Lane Change Collision
Staying attentive is crucial to everyone safety when operating a vehicle on any road. This means continually checking side mirrors, monitoring speed and looking in the rearview mirror, especially before making an unexpected lane change that could cause vehicles to collide.
• Running a Red Light
Many fatalities in Providence occur when drivers run red lights. For many motorists, a red light does not necessarily mean stop.
• Head on Crashes – Most head-on accidents at high speed are fatal. This is because the accelerated speed of both vehicles crashing head-on into one another is exponentially higher than when a vehicle crashes into a fixed object.
• Multi-Vehicle Collision – Pile-ups and other multi-vehicle collisions tend to happen on busy highways, side streets and roadways. When these accidents occur at high speed, injuries tend to be catastrophic. In some situations, it is challenging to determine who exactly caused the accident and what factors played a part in the collision.
• Single Car Accident – Oddly enough, many accidents involve just a single vehicle that strikes a fixed object like a wall, fire hydrant, tree or pole. Many fatalities occur in single car accidents when the vehicle strikes a bicycle or pedestrian.
• Hit-and-Run Crash – These types of accidents involve accidents where one or more motorists leave the scene. In many incidences, it is very challenging to identify the vehicle or the hit-and-run driver just after the collision.
Accidents in ri
Avoiding dangerous Rhode Island car crashes usually requires following common rules of the road. This includes looking both ways for any approaching vehicle and giving the right-of-way to others especially at stop signs and red lights. Traveling at a safe speed by following the posted speed limit can save your life, the lives of your passengers and those sharing the roadway with you.
Depending on the circumstances of the Barrington, Bristol or Warren accident with damages, injuries or fatalities, litigating a motor vehicle accident for compensation in providence Superior Court can be complex. A reputable Rhode Island personal injury attorney or RI car accident lawyer who specializes in these types of cases will generally handle a claim for compensation on contingency, meaning no upfront fees are required.
RI car accident lawyer uthored articles:
The recently published articles below were written by reputable RI car accident lawyer, David Slepkow who explains the different legal aspects of personal injury law and financial compensation. This valuable information provides insight into understanding many legal options to successfully resolve your case while seeking justice and financial compensation for your damages.
While every personal injury case is unique, there are general answers to common FAQs (frequently asked questions) to help you better understand how to handle your case. This RI Injury Law FAQ article explains what to do if you are involved in an automobile accident. The article explains how to determine the value of your case for compensation and the restrictions of filing your claim or suit based on the Rhode Island statute of limitations. In addition, the article will answer what to do if the individual or entity responsible for your damages has no insurance and how you can still obtain financial compensation for your injuries if you are struck by a hit-and-run driver.
This RI Personal Injury Law article provides information on how to determine the true value of a suit or claim filed for compensation after being involved in an accident. The article informs the reader what to bring to an initial consultation to discuss the case including information the attorney will need from the victim to evaluate the claim’s monetary value.
The reader learns why it is necessary to hire an experienced Rhode Island personal injury attorney. The article explainsw what will happen during the initial consultation. What to expect if the lawyer negotiates an out of court settlement on their behalf. What happens if a lawyer must take the case to trial. The article also outlines the entire process of filing and resolving a claim or lawsuit for compensation and how much upfront money is required to pay an attorney to handle the case.
Is my previous attorney compensated If I hire a new attorney?
In many cases, personal injury victims will hire a new attorney to replace a previous attorney who provided unsatisfactory results. By law, the prior RI car accident attorney is required to turn the entire legal file over to the new law firm. This article explains how the previous Rhode Island personal injury attorney will be paid for their legal services provided before they were terminated. What types of compensation cases that are handled on contingency? The article informs readers of what happens if the prior car accident attorney in RI and the new Providence car crash lawyer cannot reach an agreement on how to adequately divide legal fees.
The moments following a Rhode Island car accident tend to be confusing, overwhelming and uncertain. If you suffered injuries and damages, you are likely wondering what steps to take to heal completely and receive compensation for your losses. It is crucial that you retain a Rhode Island personal injury attorney. A car accident lawyer in RI will help you get the compensation and justice that you deserve.
Should you take photographs of the accident scene or express your opinions as to what happened? The following do’s and don’ts are listed below to ensure you protect your rights for compensation. They include:
• Don’t Wait to Receive Medical Care after an accident
–If you believe you were injured IN ANY WAY in a car, truck or motorcycle accident then seek immediate medical attention. This is because the adrenaline rush and heightened experience of being involved in an accident can easily mask serious internal harm, even if nothing externally seems to be broken, cut or injured. If you, or anyone else at the accident scene, are suffering from injuries, call 911 immediately.
• Do Call the Police Right Away
– It is crucial to your case for compensation to have the accident formally documented. Law enforcement will gather facts, speak to eyewitnesses and file a report that can be used for legal purposes. Not calling the police can make it significantly harder when you are left with your word against what is said by others.
• Do Exchange Pertinent Information – It is crucial to gather as much information about other parties involved in the accident including their names, phone number and addresses. If the RI car accident involves another vehicle, be sure to collect the license plate number, driver’s insurance information, insurance coverage information and the other vehicle’s make, model and year along with the driver’s license numbers and registration of the other parties.
• Do Remain at the Scene and take pictures– Leaving the accident scene before police and emergency services arrive might make it appear as though you are a hit-and-run offender. Additionally, it is important that the other vehicle remain at the scene until the police arrive. This is because accident victims often given false information and bogus insurance numbers. It is crucial that you take pictures of the scene of the RI motor vehicle wreck and all automobiles involved.
• Don’t Panic and Keep Quiet – Taking a deep breath and remain calm. This will help keep your mind clear and make it easier to remember to remain quiet with the others involved in the accident as to exactly what happened.
• Don’t Sign Any Documents – Within a day or two after the accident, claims adjusters working for insurance companies will begin the process of resolving your case by offering you a low settlement amount. In many cases, the inadequate offered settlement is too low to pay for your medical expenses, lost time away from work, the inability to work in the future, damaged vehicle repairs and intangible damages including pain and suffering. Do not sign anything or accept anything until you have retained a personal injury lawyer in RI.
• Do call a Rhode Island Personal Lawyer – The sooner you consult with a RI car accident attorney, the quicker investigators can gather valuable evidence necessary to support your claim for financial compensation. Additionally, all claims for compensation must be filed before the state statute of limitations expires.
• Don’t Wait to Get Legal Advice – If you wait too long to obtain legal advice, counsel and representation, it may be extremely challenging to prove your case to hold responsible parties financially accountable for the injuries, losses and damages they have caused.
Motor vehicle traffic crashes
Following the do’s and don’ts above can ensure that your rights are protected. Reputable Providence auto accident lawyers or Rhode Island car accident attorneys handle these vehicle car accident injury cases on contingency where their fees are only paid out of a successful trial award or through a negotiated out-of-court settlement.
“A statistical projection of traffic fatalities for 2015 shows that an estimated 35,200 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes. This represents an increase of about 7.7 percent as compared to the 32,675 fatalities that were reported to have occurred in 2014, as shown in Table 1. If these projections are realized, fatalities will be at the highest level since 2008, when 37,423 fatalities were reported. Preliminary data reported by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) shows that vehicle miles traveled (VMT) in 2015 increased by about 107.2 billion miles, or about a 3.5-percent increase. Also shown in Table 1 are the fatality rates per 100 million VMT, by quarter.” U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration : TRAFFIC SAFETY FACTS- Crash • Stats , Early Estimate of Motor Vehicle Traffic Fatalities in 2015
Car accidents are a growing problem across the U.S. today. Foul weather, texting while driving and aggressive driving behaviors are some primary causes of accidents on the roads, according to the United States Department of Transportation. The following is an overview of what you should do immediately to protect your interests if you are involved in a Warren, Bristol or Barrington car accident. If you are injured in a crash in Bristol, Barrington or Warren consider consulting a Rhode Island personal injury lawyer for advice.
Bristol, Barrington & Warren lawyer
After an accident in RI, most people experience a wide range of emotions including anxiety and confusion. However, it is extremely important to gather pertinent information so you can receive compensation if you are injured as a result of the accident. Some things you can do at the scene include:
- Obtain Drivers License And Insurance Information
- Don’t Admit Guilt
- Get Medical Attention
- contact the police
- take pictures and videos of the scene and the motor vehicles involved in the crash
- do not admit fault
- get names, telephone numbers and addresses of witnesses
If you are injured in an accident and have medical bills as a result, you may be able to receive compensation. Some expenses you may be able to recover money for include:
- Transportation Costs
- Rental Car Expenses
- Emergency Care
- Unpaid Medical Bills
- Lost Income
When to contact a Rhode Island personal injury lawyer
If you are involved in an accident, you may not realize the extent of your injuries immediately. In many cases, a few days go by before serious symptoms occur. Complications may also arise, prolonging your recovery. It is important to contact a lawyer if:
- You Have Unpaid Medical Bills
- The Other Driver Does Not Have Insurance
- You Are Permanently Disabled
- You Cannot Return To Work
Personal injury lawyers in Rhode Island handle car, truck or motorcycle accidents. These RI car accident attorneys in Bristol, Warren and Barington have experience gathering evidence in these cases to use when negotiating with insurance companies. If you are disabled from your injuries, an East providence auto accident lawyer can calculate future lost earnings if you cannot return to work.
Having an experienced Bristol car, truck or motor vehicle crash attorney to represent you in a car accident case in Bristol, Barrington or Warren can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. If you have been involved in an accident, contact a personal injury attorney for a consultation. During this visit, your attorney will outline your case and present your options in filing a lawsuit in Providence Superior Court. Hiring a Rhode Island personal injury attorney may give you much needed peace of mind, allowing you to focus on recovering and returning to work. If you are seeking a Camp Lejeune lawsuit attorney to get a Camp Lejeune settlement amount, contact us.
Legal Notice per Rules of Professional Responsibility: The Rhode Island Supreme Court licenses all lawyers and attorneys in the general practice of law, but does not license or certify any lawyer / attorney as an expert or specialist in any field of practice. While this firm maintains joint responsibility, most cases of this type are referred to other attorneys for principle responsibility.